(Boarding Contract is at the bottom of this page.)
We’re on Hagadorn Road, a short bike ride from MSU’s campus. Insulated barn and arena, indoor wash rack with heater above rack and hot and cold water, heated aisle/tacking area, Heated office with bathroom, shower, kitchen, and full-size refrigerator—only ¼ mile south of I-96 on Hagadorn Road, across the street from MSU’s Forestry area. Large pastures with RAM, wood, equi-rope, or no-climb fence. Each pasture has access to large (at least 75 gallons), separate water trough, and every trough is heated all through the winter with both a floating and sinking heater. Large indoor arena (70′ x 100′.) Smartpak buddy system/delivery to the barn, no extra charge for feeding supplements you supply for us, putting on fly masks, or blanketing. Hay and all Purina grain given twice daily (Included in the cost of board)–or bring your own grain. All grain is stored inside a dry, climate-controlled, horse-inaccessible feed room. Orchard grass hay is provided. All hay is carefully checked for mold, and we never feed Alfalfa hay. Each stall has 2 water buckets. Preference is given to boarders who practice natural horsemanship. We only accept helmet-wearing boarders.
Indoor board – $475/month
Outdoor board – $375/month
Lessons available, your horse or ours, for $30/hour or 4 hours for $100. Special rates for homeschoolers.
We love all natural horsemanship practices—if you’re uncertain whether you can afford us, please inquire. We’d rather have an empty stable than be surrounded by cruelty, but we’d love to have you at our barn if you’re like-minded. We can always try to work something out. We also accept partial board-for-work trades.
Call (517) 332-7669 or Email RideFireflyFarm@hotmail.com
3180 Hagadorn Road, Mason, MI 48854
We do not accept Thoroughbreds, Warmbloods, Stallions, Arabians or horses with hind shoes at this time. Thank you!
Each new boarder is given two copies of this contract–one to keep and one to fill out and give back to me. I have shamelessly stolen most of the wording used in this contract from a fellow boarding stable–they had such an incredibly eloquent way of writing out the contract, I couldn’t resist. (I will say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.)
Firefly Farm LLC
3180 Hagadorn Road
Mason, MI 48854
WARNING:UNDER THE MICHIGAN EQUINE ACTIVITY LIABILITY ACT, AN EQUINE PROFESSIONAL IS NOT LIABLE FOR AN INJURY TO OR THE DEATH OF A PARTICIPANT IN AN EQUINE ACTIVITY RESULTING FROM AN INHERENT RISK OF THE EQUINE ACTIVITY.
This Equine Boarding Contract (the “Contract”) is being entered into by Firefly Farm LLC and _______________________, the Owner/Boarder of the Horse (“Owner”), on this day of this month of 20 .
1. Fees and Terms. The term of this agreement shall be for months commencing on the date set forth above, and shall renew automatically for successive periods thereafter unless canceled in writing 30 days in advance. The owner acknowledges and accepts the terms set forth in the rate schedule applicable on the date above as issued by Firefly Farm, whether said rates be daily, weekly or monthly. Payment shall be issued in accordance with that rate schedule on a timely basis. Any charges not paid in a timely manner shall be subject to finance charges set forth in the rate schedule. In the event the subject animal is removed from the premises for any reason and returned a period of fourteen (14) days or longer, this agreement shall be deemed reinstated at rates applicable at the time of said return. Stable reserves the right to notify Owner within fifteen (15) days of the horse’s arrival if the horse, in Stable’s opinion is deemed to be dangerous or undesirable for Stable’s establishment. In such case, Owner shall be solely responsible for removing the horse within seven (7) days of said notice and for all fees incurred during the horse’s presence upon the premises. This Contract shall be deemed terminated and concluded upon payment of all fees. The boarding fee is due upon the first of the preceding month. In the event said payment is overdue by five (5) days, a twenty dollar ($20) late fee will be added along with five dollars ($5) per day for each additional day that payment is late. Late fees are due immediately upon receipt of late payment and will continue to accrue if not paid. In the event said payment is overdue by ten (10) days, Stable shall be entitled to exert a lien against said horse, and all of Owner’s property upon the premises as more further described below, for any amounts due, and shall be entitled to enforce said lien and foreclose its interest against said horse and/or equipment for the amount due in accordance with the laws of the State of Michigan. If said horse dies, is sold, or upon thirty (30) days written notice to Firefly Farm, the Owner may terminate this Contract. In such case, the Stable shall be paid for all fees incurred up to the termination date. After all fees have been paid in full, this Contract is concluded.
The Owner chooses the board option of: Pasture Stall (circle one) at the daily / weekly / monthly (circle one) rate of $___________ per day /week / month. These charges are for services as set forth below.
This Contract is non-assignable and non-transferrable. In the case of closure of the Stable, Stable will give Owner thirty (30) days written notice and Stable will be held harmless.
2. Owner/Boarder information. The Owner agrees to supply all necessary and needed contact information for general and emergency purposes. If any of Owner’s information changes, Owner agrees to contact Stable immediately and supply any new information, or fill out a new Owner contact sheet if needed. Owner also agrees to have their photograph taken upon commencement of this Contract for identification and security purposes. This information is for use by Firefly Farm and its employees and will not be distributed or published in any manner without Owner consent.
Mailing address (if different from above):
Permanent address (if different from above):
(We will only call boarders at the work number in case of emergency)
Driver’s License number:
(Parent or legal guardian if “owner” under 18 years of age)
3. Horse Information. The Owner agrees to supply all necessary and needed information about said horse. Owner also agrees to have photograph of said horse taken upon commencement of this Contract for identification and security purposes. This information is for use by Firefly Farm and its employees and will not be distributed or published in any manner without Owner consent.
It is OK for Firefly Farm to publish photos of my horse on the Firefly Farm Website: Y N
Horse name (registered name, if registered, and barn name):
Insurance Carrier, Policy # and Phone number:
Value of Horse (owner estimated or insured amount): $
4. Feed, Facilities and Services. Stable agrees to provide adequate feed and facilities for normal and reasonable care required to maintain the health and well-being of the horse. Owner acknowledges that Owner has inspected the facilities and finds facilities in safe and proper order. The standard services to be provided are listed herein and the charges therefore are as previously stated, these services and the charges for are subject to change and Owner will be notified in writing upon any changes. The Stable and its employees reserve the right to use reasonable and customary practices, restraints, and/or training implements to handle or move the horse should they be necessary (if horse refuses to move or becomes a danger to itself or others). Further, if said horse becomes a danger to itself or others, Stable reserves the right to not provide turnout time, or clean stall. If this situation happens Owner will be notified immediately. The current services provided for stall and pasture board are listed below: Stall board: One assigned stall per horse. Daily turnout (weather permitting) to pasture or paddock (one (1) time out and one (1) time in), Stable will not guarantee a definite schedule for turn-out. Access to free choice water (heated in the winter). Feeding of hay and grain two (2) times daily, (a mid-day feeding of grain may be arranged with Stable). Grain will be fed up to six (6) pounds per horse per day, and up to five (5) flakes of hay will be fed per day. Any additional amounts of hay, grain, or other items may be arranged at an additional cost. Owner supplied supplements and/or medications applied to the feed will be added as instructed if Owner packages as directed by Stable. Free choice trace mineral salt block in pastures. Daily stall cleaning. Blanket on one (1) time and off one (1) time. Use of facilities (Indoor arena, Outdoor arena) as they become available. Space to store two (2) saddles, two (2) bridles and brushes. Pasture board: Access to shelter. Free choice water (heated in the winter). Unlimited access to pasture, square bale hay may be fed two times daily. Feeding of grain two (2) times daily. Grain will be fed up to six (6) pounds per horse per day. Owner supplied supplements and/or medications applied to the feed will be added as instructed if Owner packages as directed by Stable. Free choice trace mineral salt blocks in each pasture. Any additional amounts of grain or other items may be arranged at an additional cost. Space to store two (2) saddles, two (2) bridles.
5. Risk of Loss and Standard of Care. DURING THE TIME THAT SAID HORSE IS IN CUSTODY OF STABLE, STABLE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY SICKNESS, DISEASE, ESTRAY, THEFT, INJURY OR DEATH WHICH MAY BE SUFFERED BY THE HORSE OR ANY OTHER CAUSE OF ACTION, WHATSOEVER, ARISING OUT OF OR BEING CONNECTED IN ANY WAY WITH THE BOARDING OF SAID HORSE, EXCEPT IN THE EVENT OF NEGLIGENCE ON THE PART OF STABLE, IT’S AGENTS, AND/OR EMPLOYEES. THIS INCLUDES, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO, ANY PERSONAL INJURY, DISABILITY, OR DEATH THE HORSE OWNER, OR OWNER’S GUEST MAY RECEIVE ON STABLE’S PREMISES. IN NO EVENT SHALL STABLE BE HELD LIABLE TO OWNER FOR EQUINE DEATH OR INJURY IN AN AMOUNT IN EXCESS OF FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS ($5,000)PER ANIMAL. OWNER AGREES TO OBTAIN EQUINE INSURANCE FOR ANY ANIMALS VALUED IN EXCESS OF FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS ($5,000.00), AT OWNERS EXPENSE, OR FOREGO ANY CLAIM FOR AMOUNTS IN EXCESS OF FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS ($5,000.00). OWNER AGREES TO DISCLOSE THIS ENTIRE CONTRACT TO OWNER’S INSURANCE COMPANY AND PROVIDE STABLE WITH THE COMPANY’S NAME, ADDRESS AND POLICY NUMBER. FAILURE TO DISCLOSE INSURANCE INFORMATION SHALL BE AT OWNER’S RISK. THE STANDARD OF CARE APPLICABLE TO STABLES IS THAT OF ORDINARY CARE OF A PRUDENT HORSE OWNER AND NOT AS A COMPENSATED BAILEE.
6. Hold Harmless. Owner agrees to defend, indemnify, save and hold harmless Stable and its principals, agents, and affiliates from and against any loss, liability, damage, attorney’s fees or costs and all claims arising from or in any way connected with damage or injury caused by owner’s horse to anyone, Owner’s use of the facilities, Owners or guests at Stable facilities, horse’s conduct, Owner’s use or access to horse, or Owners or guests actions and defend Stable from any such claims. Owner agrees to disclose any and all hazardous or dangerous propensities of said horse boarded with Stable.
7. Emergency Care. Stable agrees to attempt to contact Owner should Stable, its agents or employee’s feel that medical or farrier attention is required for said horse. If Stable, its agents or employee’s are unable to contact Owner, then an attempt will be made to contact the emergency contact person. If any or all of these are unable to be reached in a reasonable time, which shall be judged and determined solely by Stable, Stable is then authorized to secure emergency veterinary, and/or farrier care as required for the health and well being of said horse. All costs of such care secured shall be billed directly to the Owner. If Stable is not able to arrange direct billing to Owner, then Stable will pay emergency bill up to two hundred dollars ($200), which will be due within seven (7) days upon presentation of paid bill to Owner. This amount will be subject to fees and liens as described in the Fees and Terms section above. STABLE SHALL ASSUME THAT OWNER DESIRES MAJOR MEDICAL AND SURGICAL CARE IF RECOMMENDED BY A VETERINARIAN IN THE EVENT OF COLIC, FRACTURED BONE, OR OTHER LIFE-THREATENING ILLNESS. THIS WILL BE THOUGHT TO BE TRUE UNLESS STABLE IS INSTRUCTED OTHERWISE HEREIN OR ON OWNER’S INFORMATION SHEETS, BY OWNER THAT THE SAID HORSE IS NOT A CANDIDATE. IN WHICH CASE, OWNER WILL DECLARE A DOLLAR AMOUNT WHICH WILL BE USED AS A GUIDE BY STABLE AND ATTENDING VETERINARIAN FOR APPROPRIATE CARE. The dollar amount declared is ($ ) IF EMERGENCY IS NEAR FATAL AND ATTENDING VETERINARIAN STRONGLY RECOMMENDS EUTHANASIA, OWNER GIVES STABLE AUTHORITY FOR CONSENT FOR EUTHANASIA. ALL NECESSARY AND REQUIRED ATTEMPTS WILL BE MADE TO CONTACT OWNER OR OWNER’S EMERGENCY CONTACT FOR DIRECT PERMISSION FIRST. OWNER WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR REMOVAL/BURIAL/CREMATION OF SAID HORSE AS SOON AS IS POSSIBLE POST EUTHANASIA. Owner agrees to notify Stable of any and all changes of addresses, phone numbers, emergency contacts, itineraries or other information reasonable necessary to contact the Owner in an emergency. In the event that Owner departs for vacation, work, etc or is otherwise unavailable, prior to departure Owner shall notify Stable as to the contact that is able to make decisions in regard to the health, well-being and/or medical treatment of said horse, whether emergency or not. If none is provided Stable will contact person listed on emergency contact sheet. You may list Sarah as your main emergency contact, but be absolutely certain you’d prefer her to make your horse’s end-of-life decisions before you put her name there. She believes in not letting horses suffer, but that you also need to try and keep them alive. SHE WILL MAKE THE DECISION AS IF IT WERE FOR HER PERSONAL HORSE.
8. Limitation of Actions. Any action or claim brought about by Owner against Stable for breach of this contract or for loss due to negligence must be brought about within six months (6 months) of the date such claim or loss occurs.
9. Farrier Care and General Health Practices. Owner agrees to provide the necessary trimming and/or shoeing, along with the following vaccinations and reasonably necessary deworming. The vaccinations required at Firefly Farm is/are Eastern and Western equine encephalomyelitis, Influenza, Tetanus, Strangles, and Potomac Horse Fever. West Nile virus along with Rabies is highly recommended but not required. A deworming schedule of daily dewormer or rotational paste dewormer every 8 weeks, with a once to twice yearly addition of a product to eliminate tapeworms is suggested to keep parasite counts low. These services can be arranged with the Stable for the Stable farrier and Stable veterinarian to provide, or may be scheduled with the farrier or veterinarian of Owner’s choice. The Stable will provide free handling of said horse if these services are scheduled during the Stable’s herd health program. Otherwise if Owner arranges for a different farrier or veterinarian then Owner is responsible for being present and handling own horse, or must arrange payment with Stable for Stable’s employees to handle said horse. Owner agrees to have all routine health practices completed on a regular basis, and agrees to provide Stable with all health records of said horse. In the event that services are not rendered, or proof of same is not provided to Stable within thirty (30) days from date of such service, Stable is authorized to arrange for such treatment, but not obligated to do so; such expense shall be the obligation of Owner, and upon presentation of bill by Stable for such services rendered, including any service charges, any bill shall be paid within seven (7) days from the date the bill is submitted to Owner.
10. Ownership. Owner warrants that they are the owner of record of the horse listed in this agreement, or that they have the express authority of the actual owner of record to enter into this Contract and to board the horse with the Stable. If Owner is not the record of owner of said horse, then the person signing as Owner nonetheless agrees to be fully bound by the terms of this agreement and liable for all sums hereunder. Any and all owners of said horse warrant that they have good and clear title and that the horse is free from any liens or encumbrances, expressed or implied by law.
11. Changes or Termination of This Contract. It is agreed by the parties that this Contract may be changed or terminated upon thirty (30) days written notice, regardless of the rental period. If you have pre-paid for the following month, you may leave at any time. All notices must be issued in writing unless otherwise agreed upon by the parties. The posting of updated rate schedule/regulation changes in a conspicuous or open place in Stable’s tack rooms shall constitute notice of any and all rate/regulation changes as may be deemed appropriate by Stable.
12. Rules and Regulations. The Owner agrees to abide by all the rules and regulations of the Stable. In the event someone other than the Owner shall call for the horse, such person shall have written authority signed by the Owner to obtain said horse. If Owner is removing the horse from Stable property for the purpose of showing or trail riding, Owner agrees to inform Stable at least twenty-four (24) hours prior to said horse leaving. If Stable is not notified and said horse is found to be missing, the Stable will contact Owner, emergency contact and Police in that order to alert to the missing horse. Owner hereby acknowledges receipt and understanding of current Stable Rules. Owner agrees that they and all of their guests and invitees will abide by and be bound by these Rules. Owner also agrees to accept full responsibility for the conduct of all guests and invitees. The Stable may revise these Rules from time to time and Owner agrees that any revision shall have the same force and effect as current Rules. Failure, as determined by the Stable’s sole discretion, of Owner or Owner’s guests and invitees to abide by Stable Rules may result in Stable declaring Owner in default hereunder and result in termination of this Contract.
13. Right of Lien. The Owner is put on notice that Stable has a right of lien as set forth in the laws of the State of Michigan, for the amount due for the board and keep of such horse, and also for storage and services, and shall have the right, without process of law, to retain said horse until the amount of said indebtedness is discharged. However Stable will not be obligated to retain and/or maintain the horse in question in the event the amount of the bill exceeds the anticipated unregistered value of the horse. In the event Stable exercises Stable’s right of lien as above described for non-payment, this Contract shall constitute a Bill Of Sale and authorization to process transfer applications from any breed registration as may be applicable to said horse upon affidavit by Stable’s representatives setting forth the material facts of the default and foreclosure as well as Stable’s compliance with foreclosure proceedings as required by law. In the event collection of the account is turned over to an attorney, Owner agrees to pay all attorneys’ fees, costs, and other related expenses for which a minimum charge of two hundred and fifty dollars ($250.00) will be assessed.
14. Property in Storage on Stable’s Premises. Owner may store certain tack and equipment on the premises of Stable at no additional charge to Owner. Horse trailers may be stored on Stable premises in the designated area. However, Stable shall not be responsible for the theft, loss, damage or disappearance of any tack, equipment, trailer or other property stored at Stable or on Stable premises. Stable shall not be liable for any of Owner’s items when removed from premises for any reason.
15. Inherent Risks and Assumption of Risk. The undersigned acknowledges there are inherent risks associated with equine activities such as described below, and hereby expressly assumes all risks associated with participating in such activities. The inherent risks include, but are not limited to the propensity of equines to behave in ways such as running, bucking, biting, kicking, shying, stumbling, rearing, falling or stepping on, that may result in an injury, harm or death to persons on or around them; the unpredictability of an equine’s reaction to such things as sounds, sudden movements and unfamiliar objects, persons, or other animals; certain hazards such as surface and subsurface conditions; collisions with other animals; the limited availability of emergency medical care; and the potential of a participant to act in a negligent manner that may contribute to injury to the participant or others, such as failing to maintain control over the animal or not acting within such participant’s ability. Owner expressly releases Stable from any and all claims for personal injury or property damage, even if caused by negligence (if allowed by the laws of this State) by Stable or its representatives, agents or employees.
16. Prohibited Activities. Prohibited activities include, but are not limited to, Smoking in any barn or barn area; also, feeding, turning-out, walking, riding, working, saddling, injuring, whipping, harassing, or otherwise use or interaction with any other horse at Stable without permission of Stable or owner of said horse. Using spurs of any variety is forbidden, and owners are asked to use whips as an aid only. Chains over horse noses as a punishment are strictly forbidden and are grounds for immediate dismissal from Firefly Farm. Owners agree that neither they nor their guests or invitees will participate in any of these aforementioned items. Owner also agrees that if anyone is to be allowed to handle, turn-out, administer medications and/or ride said horse then Owner will provide a full Authorized User information sheet for each Authorized User. Stable has discretion when and under what circumstances to allow Owner’s Authorized Users to have access to said horse and Stable’s facilities.
17. Entire Contract. This Contract represents the entire agreement between the parties. No other agreements, promises, or representations, verbal or implied, are included unless specifically stated in this written agreement. This Contract is made and entered into in Michigan, and shall be enforced and interpreted in accordance with Michigan Law.
18. Enforceability of Contract and Severability. If one or more parts of the Contract are found to be unenforceable or illegal, the other portions of the Contract shall be deemed in full force and effect
19. Comprehension. Each party hereby affirms and acknowledges that they have been given the opportunity to obtain independent legal review by an attorney of their choosing, that they have read this entire Contract, that it is in plain language, and that they fully understand and appreciate the meaning of each of its terms.
Owner (or Authorized Agent) signature:
IF OWNER IS A MINOR THEN SIGNATURE OF AT LEAST ONE (1) PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN IS REQUIRED. THE SIGNING OF THIS CONTRACT BY ONE (1) PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN CONSTITUTES FOR PURPOSES OF THIS CONTRACT TO BE VIEWED AS AGREEMENT AND A WAIVER OF ALL RIGHTS BY THE OTHER NON-SIGNING PARENT OR
Firefly Farm owner signature: